Friday, March 31, 2006

"How my iPod has altitude sickness" and other tales of woe

So it's been a long two weeks and I'm sorry for disappearing from blogging. Even though I'm in a country with the fastest internet connection I've seen in a long time, it just wasn't happening...But no excuses, here's what's been happening:

I arrived in Cape Town two weeks ago and went straight to Gansbaai, the small town famous for its great white sharks where I was going to spend a 6-week internship working on sharks...not sure what, but something to do with sharks.

Yup, the sharks are cool - I went cage diving one morning and it was pretty cool. I think I've learned though that I'm just not a "shark person". I don't wake up giddy with the excitement of spending all day on a boat and watching sharks. I guess we all have things to learn about ourselves. So this in mind, when it appeared there was an opportunity to go back to Mombasa and keep working on fisheries, I was in. Big time.

So (melodrama unmentioned), I am now in Cape Town where I've spent the past two days sightseeing and running around arranging visas, airline tickets and malaria pills. To say it was stressful would be an understatement, but I am now pleased to announce I am on the next flight out to Mombasa and I cannot wait to go back! Even if it means no fast internet, satellite tv, hot water, paved roads and/or reliable electricity (so there definitely were a lot of perks in South Africa). Speaking of luxuries, I'm on the fastest internet connection I've ever seen (and will see for the next month) so there's lots of new stories (below) and pictures (on the right). I'll be in touch!

P.S. And I wasn't kidding about my iShuffle - it's deader than dead. The Apple guy says it has altitude sickness. They definitely didn't write anything about that in the manual.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who's Emily?